Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Words

"Words, they'll try and break you. Don't let them shake you or stop your world from turning. When words keep you from feeling good, use them as firewood and let them burn." -Words by Train

Id like to think the power of what you say is unlimited. The words you say today have the potential to change the way people think tomorrow. Words have endless potential, actually. Thats one of the reasons I love writing. I'm so much better at expressing my thoughts and getting my point across through words. In fact, speaking is really hard for me. I talk really fast and animatedly so I stumble over my words, use words that don't mean what I think they do, and sometimes pause for several seconds trying to think about what I was talking about to begin with. Because I legitimately forget. In the middle of a sentence. I'm horrible at talking. Really, I am. So writing is my fall-back. I'll be the first to admit it. I like arguing, complimenting, talking in general, really, better in text messages, chat messages, or letters so much more. I think this is the case for two reasons. One being I'm really not capable of arguing without messing up my sentences and then getting angrier. And because then I can't see the affect of my words. Especially in an argument. I won't be there to see them sting, even though I know they still will. Lately, I've been involved in a lot of that. I honestly, from the bottom of my heart, do not like hurting people. I don't like saying mean things. I don't like hurting feelings. I don't like swearing at someone. I don't like it. Contrary to popular belief, I really don't. So unfortunately, sending my words in a long text message or an inbox or a wall post allows me to no longer see the affect of my words. No bueno, chicos. Because now, I say so much more. So much more horrible cruel things that in the heat of the moment I really don't mean. Now I have to brave the punishment of my actions. You see, words have so much more power than we think. We use words to seal a marriage ("I do!" anyone?). We use words to express love, hate, and sadness. We use words for comfort and sometimes we use them to do damage because we're hurt and we don't know what else to do to deal with those emotions. I think that we need to use our words more wisely. As insanely stupid and ridiculous as that sounds, I want to try. I want to try and think about what I say. And I want to try and save words that could be used to hurt someone, to help them.

No comments:

Post a Comment